Thursday 7 November 2013

Why Would You Want To Be An Actor?

After the interview Missy and I spoke about one of the exercises she was talking about: Where we had to say how we felt.
I started to tell her that at the Lee Strasberg Institute, in one of the method acting classes, before we did scene work we had to improvise the scene we had been working on. We didn't need to say any of the lines, but just go though the thought processes with the character saying how we felt. I was telling her that my partner and I had worked on a scene from The Dreamer Examines His Pillow, Our teacher Mauricio Bustamante, who had been taught by Strasberg in the last few years of his teaching, was pushing me to say how I felt, he pushed me more and more when suddenly, I just burst in to tears, shouting 'WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME!?!' So much so that the tears were making puddles on the floor!
Here is a link to an early rehearsal of the scene: Blake Curtis-Woodcock - The Dreamer Examines His Pillow
Missy laughed and said how great it was, (A connection that I believe only people that have worked with the method can understand) She said that there is a video on the internet of one of her teachers doing exactly that!
Here is a video from the American Academy Of Dramatic Arts, It's a great video to watch all the way though, but if you want to skip forward to my example, it's from 2:28- 2:38.

Why Would You Want To Be An Actor?


No comments:

Post a Comment